Thursday, May 6, 2010

Relays of VONT Delayed Due to Recent Events in USA



Apparently this is the first sign that authorities have taken an interest in HF Pirates since the late 90s. Luckily Weather Radio got off light.

From FRN Vines 4 May 2010:


Weather Radio is QRT

It's been a fun ride. Although 99% of my broadcasts apparently went unnoticed, I only hope that the 1% made a difference in someone's life.

I was doing some testing of the new 1 KW setup, and last month got "THE" visit. Yes, I have now seen with my own eyes, a federal badge.

Luckily, no harm done, was just given some written material about rules and regs, and informed that pirates can be DFed by remote stations with pinpoint accuracy from a central point in Washington DC. I just drew the joker card this time as my test transmissions swamped a local receive point some 40 miles away. I was flattered to be the focus of such talented tax payer funded attention. Even though the lengthy conversation was low-key and friendly, the underlying tone was very clear- Sin no more.

So, until I relocate out of US territory, or I figure out some way for my crippled, retired body to go mobile, Weather Radio is QRT.

With the utmost respect for my fellow HF pirate nutjobs, from the bottom of my former NWS heart, I sincerely thank you.

W.R

SK

No comments:

Post a Comment